Saturday, September 21, 2019

Coffee Time


I am in love with the romance of Downton Abby! So when I saw this coffee pot, it had to be mine. I am awaiting its arrival from England as I write this post!

"Some of us love things and some of us love experiences; I love both..." Lorrie S. LeBeaux


These  pieces just seem to belong together. The sugar and creamer is Limoges and the coffee pot's pedigree is " to be determined upon inspection.".  I am not afraid of "marrying" pieces with one another. If I love it, then I perceive it to be beautiful!  I am looking for a tray to complete this coffee service. I will know if it is the right one when I "spy" it with my little old eyes. I like to remind all of you to give me a break with typos. My sight has some challenges these days, but I love sharing with all of you, so I press on.

Sometimes I get the feeling like I should be the "steward" of these vintage and antique pieces. I just feel "connections" with them, like they need to be with me. I also love " culinary" things that can be used. Tip: Check photos or items if present closely for cleanliness, because sometimes vintage or antiques can only be used for decor due to their internal condition.  I really do not like objects that have to be "babied!" They have to " roll with it" just like I do! 

" Just as I make a cup of coffee, I make my own joy in this life that I live..." Lorrie S. LeBeaux

And being a lover of a great cup of coffee, these pieces will be used by me a lot. I try hard to treat myself, as well as I have treated guests that have visited me from New Orleans. They love my "pampering" and I love it too! As a young lady in a food court in New Orleans told me many years ago, " Treat yourself, don't cheat yourself."   I never forgot her wonderful advice! 

I have several interior designers that speak to my "ideas" of all things home. Bunny Williams says, "train your eye." If you go to an expensive shop, one you can not afford a thing there,  you will gain something free, an education of what a "treasure" should look like. It kinda makes you go, ahh.... You immediately see connections and how things will relate to one another in your own personal spaces. Alex Papachristidis says, " everything you use should be beautiful!" And I could not agree with him more on that sentiment. It does not matter how little it costs or where you find it; if it is beautiful to you,  get it! 

When I prepare coffee or tea I prepare the pot by filling it with hot water. This heats up the pot and helps keep the hot beverage hot, at least for the time you need it to be hot. I heat up my cups like that for my morning coffee or a cup of tea. Life is stressful, so I have learned to "treat myself well", this helps me cope with my daily life, and it imparts a bit of joy in my day. 

I hope some of my posts inspire others to "treat themselves well." We do it for others so naturally, so we should do it for ourselves. Life is made to be lived, one day at a time...

Here is my " Special Coffee"  recipe. Try it in your special coffee pot or your special coffee cup. And try heating some water and letting your cup warm up, then dump the water and add your warmed milk, creamer or half and half,  and then your piping hot coffee. I promise you it will be a treat. 

I say this all of the time, " I am not rich in wealth ( I wish I was...., it would allow me to help others more), but I am rich in my love for "all things home." I hope you feel inspired to make this coffee and maybe a banana or pumpkin bread to welcome Fall!



Lorrie's Special Coffee

9 coffee scoops of coffee
8 cups of water
1 tablespoon of good vanilla extract
1 tablespoon good almond extract

Put coffee in in the coffee basket/filter. Add extracts over ground coffee.  Brew according to coffee pots instructions This makes the best specialty coffee for a fraction of the price. Serve black, sugar, sugar substitute and half and half. You may also top this coffee with whipped cream to make it even more decadent!


https://entertainingwithbeth.com/beths-extra-moist-pumpkin-bread-recipe/ 

Try this recipe with Splenda granulated sugar if you are watching your sugar intake. It bakes just like sugar and measures just like sugar. You can even make your own sugar free powdered by adding a cup of Splenda in your food processor along with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Pulse until it looks like powdered sugar. I like to save mine in and empty sugar free cool whip container, stored in a cool, dry place. 

I also " recycle" empty spice jars ( put them in the dishwasher to clean and remove the spice odors) and add the sugar free powdered sugar to dust over my baked goods.

 Saving money and the environment is very important to me. So I really try not to waste any food or missed opportunities to recycle plastic, glass or tin containers. 

Tip: When stocking up on spices for all of your Fall/Winter baking, look for the buy one and get one free deals at the grocery store. I got two pumpkin spices for one price! And pumpkin spice can be used in soo many things, so it was a "win- win" for me!


A pizza paddle can be used to serve a host of things. I like taking objects and give them multiple uses which is another money saving tip. You would be surprised by what you can find when you "shop your home." You will discover things you forgot about from days gone by...

Tip: When you are having an orange, zest it and save the zest in a washed empty spice bottle. There is just something special it adds to banana and pumpkin breads. Also "jumbo eggs" really do make a difference in your finished baked breads.


Until the next time, warm wishes from our home to yours.... 

xoxo,  

Lorrie

1 comment: