Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wine Review: 2012 J Vineyards Pinot Gris

 
J 2012 Pinot Gris

This wine is a pale straw color. The nose is aromatic, with aromas of apricot, citrus, and some tropical fruit notes. The palate has the same beautiful fruit flavors which were noted in the nose, along with a bit of honeysuckle and lime on the palate. I also noted some lemon zest on the finish, which enhanced the minerality of this wine. There is a nice amount of acidity which makes this wine great to pair with food. This wine is crisp, yet the mouth feel has a roundness, which was quite a feat to me in terms of wine making. Usually you only note a wine being crisp or rounded on the palate.  The finish is nice, and it makes you want another glass. So you get the best of both worlds in a glass. I think Pinot Gris will be the "pork of wine" , pork being  "the other white meat."  As you can see, even a television commercial for pork, can help a wine writer do her thing. I am always thinking as Chef Anne Burrell says on the Food Network. I mentioned cooking, because when reviewing wine, you have to match the flavor profile of the wine, with foods that you know would pair well with the wine. Wine and food are like a couple to me; they just go together, and hopefully they will marry. So you can see I am all about wine and food pairings! Meaning Pinot Gris will be "the other white wine." And I say this in a good way. I think wine drinkers, especially new wine drinkers will have another white to add to their go to wines for spring and summer. I say this because wine appreciation is a journey; you learn more and more as you taste different varietals of wine. So you know what you like or dislike in a wine. Many will find this wine is a "keeper!"

This wine would pair so well with seafood like shrimp, crab, especially a crab cake, grilled chicken skewers or pork skewers with a sweet orange glaze, and a host of light appetizers. I also think this wine would pair with grilled pineapple as an easy and simple dessert for summer. This wine was a sample provide by J Vineyards & Winery http://www.jwine.com SRP $14.00

No comments:

Post a Comment