Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Life's Little Luxuries



Many years ago, prior to Hurricane Katrina, my best friend Donna treated me to a wine show. They had representatives from almost every California winery. I was in awe of the huge space, and soo much wine! I had started writing a newsletter entitled, "Life's Little Luxuries Newsletter." So I decided to bring a few copies to the wine event, to basically test the waters of my emerging wine and food writer journey.

I was well received by all of the vendors. I met Amelia Ceja  of Ceja Vineyards and her family as well as Robert Larson who was then a representative of Rodney Strong Winery to name a few. Things just seem to take on a "life of its own",  in my wine writer journey. I was blessed to meet Jo Diaz and George Rose, all through social media. I still am connected with these wonderful people through Facebook.

I loved writing post, but had to stop due to issues with my sight. But I realized we can't change some things in this life, we just have to "edit" and move on... This is my first post in many years, so I may have a few errors, so please excuse any you see.  I really would love to get back into the wine and food writing arena.

 I started a Facebook group entitled, "All Things Home." I think the members are enjoying the group. But I think it is time for me to "step out in faith" and begin writing again.

Life can be quite harsh, and the things in life that provide comfort and civility are good for our minds and souls. I always tell myself, "Girl you may not be rich with money, but you are rich in soul."

"Civility" is what is needed in our world. Having a glass of wine, sipping a cup of tea, and reading your favorite home shelter magazine are some of my rituals I practice,  to have a sense of "joy" in my life. Life is what you make of it... If we fall, we get up and start all over again... it is called living.

Surrounding yourself with things you love is like a "cocoon" that shelters you,  and just makes you feel good. It can be a wine goblet, a tea cup or a dish, if it makes you feel good then go for it! The older I become, the more I see the importance of "joy!" I derive joy by having a glass of wine, baking, developing new recipes and on a small level "collecting" things for my home. Home has always been important to me. I am blessed to have saved a few items from my home in New Orleans which was damaged in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina. So when I see pieces that have survived "all of the storms" of my life, I feel a sense of comfort and joy.

So here are some examples of life's little luxuries...


These cups and saucers were a find on ebay. They were $20.00. When these were new, the young Lorrie could not afford them. Now they are one of my treasures!

I love flowers and they are a luxury.



All things wine is always appreciated. A "Claret" jug that probably tell us some stories from times gone by...


Having the house smell of baked goods is a luxury as well...




"Pre-loved"  books that speak to all things home are always welcomed. 




This cookbook, "Crescent City Cooking",  was a book I won in a contest!



And this cookbook, "Cooking up a Storm" was a gift from my "daughter from another mama", Tonia Johnson.

Well, this was a long "welcome back" post. I am hoping to post a wine review soon! Remember, sometimes the smallest things bring us joy!


The pot on the end was from my son Evan's Special Education Class when he was in Middle School. Evan will be 23 in early October of this year! His teacher was wonderful! I treasure it! 

My Mother's Day gift this year was a tea kettle from my beautiful daughter Angelle. I use it almost everyday. 


And  book given to me by a friend (Audrey)whom I have known since high school. 


And last, but not least, a vase that has survived many storms filled with flowers.


Cheers, 

Lorrie








No comments:

Post a Comment