Saturday, August 20, 2011

Wine Review: White Oak 2007 Napa Valley Merlot


This wine has a dark garnet hue. The nose is filled with dark fruit aromas, primarily black cherry, vanilla, coffee, chocolate and spice. The palate mirrors the nose as it relates to the flavor profile along with supple tannins, but tannins firm enough to give this wine structure and balance. This wine would pair well with gourmet burgers, especially if stuffed with a pat of rosemary compound butter enclosed inside the burger patty. Remember not to press the burger when grilling with compound butter, you will lose the butter! This wine would also pair well with a grilled steak. If using an indoor grill pan, I use a little extra virgin olive oil and and a sprig of rosemary in my grill pan to add that extra layer of flavor to my steaks. I love to marinade my steaks (rib eye) in Stubb's Beef Marinade prior to grilling them. Another great pairing would be with Cahill Porter Cheese, I love how this cheese looks with the marbling and its rich flavor.  Note: this wine was a sample provided by White Oak Vineyards & Winery http://www.whiteoakwinery.com SRP $26.00

No comments:

Post a Comment