Friday, August 16, 2019

Culinary Accoutrements That Inspire



For me, it is all about the details...



An antique cold meat serving fork, Reed and Barton "Festivity" aka Tiger Lilly.

I have realized that I love Lillie's in a vase and on my flatware.  There is something soo "sexy" about its shape and smell; kinda like a  sexy and beautiful woman.

I remembered that I had this soup tureen in my kitchen cabinet last week. I used to entertain often when I first moved into my home in West Little Rock, AR.  Life has had some changes and challenges, but I intend to start entertaining again. I used to love to do it, because it brought joy to others who got my " pampering." A great meal, great wine, great music and great company is always a winning combination in my book.

A woman who I worked with at the time, who was invited for Christmas dinner at our home asked me, "You are not one of "those people" who serve Gumbo from the pot?" My answer was no, I do not... But I wish I had had this lovely ladle back then to really show off my tureen! What she did not know was I came from a " long line" of women who loved beautiful things for the home. We were not rich by far, but we were "rich" with loving "all things home."

This tureen housed some old fashioned New Orleans File` Gumbo about eleven years ago. A long time right; so I decided to wash it and give it a new antique ladle. It came with a matching ladle, but it just never seemed right.  I think some things find a place in your home because it meant to be there to be used and loved. This ladle is stamped 1905.   Can you imagine something being soo old, and yet soo resilient and beautiful? I can, that is why I like things with a past. We all have a past, and we all have a story.  I compare it to a woman that is "aging like fine wine! 

As I am aging, I have realized how precious life is, and I have decided to "live my best life!"  I live in the " now" and stop thinking about if I had this or that... I am living in  " joy" despite any life obstacles that are in my way!  So do not " save" things for a " special occasion" or for " company." You and your family are important, and deserve to be given love and care.

I have to include books that have lovely photos of food, table settings and recipes. One of my beloved books that I reached for the other day is "The Collected Tabletop" by Kathryn Crisp Greeley. This book truly provides me with inspiration. I was lucky enough to have won this book in a contest with At Home Arkansas

I got the inspiration from a recipe she calls " Olive Spread Napoleons." I decided to do my own spin on the "napoleon" and came up with a cream cheese stuffing to create my pecan napoleon. If you make the filling in advance, all you have to do is assemble them before your guest arrive. And if you have a helper, it would be all the better! You would be surprised what 4 ounces of cream cheese and a teaspoon of half and half can do, along with whatever herbs, spices, chopped dried fruit in a stand mixer with a paddle! And I might add they look soo beautiful! 


I am calling my creation, "Lorrie's Stuffed Pecan Bites."





Reed and Barton, "Festivity"  aka Tiger Lilly Silver plated ladle dated 1905.

I am thinking about what type of soups that will be ladled with this beautiful ladle. I think even something as ordinary as chili  or a batch of Crawfish Etouffee would be wonderful on a chilly Fall or Winter day.


This platter makes me think of all types of delicious meats or seafood that would fine a home on its surface. I could imagine roasted chicken or turkey breast resting on this platter!





A vase is not a culinary accoutrement, but it is a part of the "food show!" And you can make a vase out of almost anything that holds water. Garage sales, the dollar store or just everyday household items can make a lovely vase. My green vase came for the grocery store circa 2007! 

Thank you Kroger's for my vase, and for the food items that allow me to create all things food. Oh and thanks for having fresh flowers at a reasonable price! I really enjoy thinking of designing flower arrangements in  my head. It allows me to be creative, and when I am creative I feel "free!" 


I call it my " Grazing Cheese Board!




Also " shop your home." We forget about all of the things we have gathered over the years. Find them, take them out and clean them, then use them!  I told me dear friend Donna, " When I die I will have smelled all of my flowers, and used all the things that I love!" 

During the Fall and Winter, I like adding "feathers" to my flower arrangements.  I got them years ago at a local florist named, "Tipton Hurst." They used to have a location in West Little Rock up until maybe 2009 or so.  I have had the feathers since about 2008. They may be a bit "weary" due to use, but they are still holding on. I never aim for "perfection" in any part of my life. I am imperfect, and I think "imperfectness" of people and things give them character.


And we can't forget about the wine. A wonderful "Claret", Cabernet Sauvignon or red blend would find a home in the antique "Claret Jug." Sometimes a wine will provide me " inspiration" in deciding what dish I will prepare,  and what spices and seasonings I will use in the dish. I have a "pairing mantra" that goes, " Cabernet Sauvignon and Rosemary, and Syrah and Sage. 




So to end this post, I am going to link a post that has my recipe for sweet chicken and bacon wraps. They are soo easy and you can assemble them in advance. You just and pop them in the oven on some release aluminum foil on a large cookie sheet before your guest arrive, or before your movie starts!

 And please excuse any typos, my eyes have seen better days. It takes me a bit longer to write, but I refuse to stop writing! I pick myself up,  and brush myself off and start all over again. I have realized what is done, is done and we have to make the best out of any situation we are dealing with in this life. 

Also, I would love for you to comment in the comment section. 

Thanks in advance,

Lorrie xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment