Friday, January 7, 2011

Burgers and Wine How Divine

I must admit that I love a burger. Burgers are not just the simple ones that your mom used to make or the ones you pick up from the fast food chain; they are gourmet burgers and deserve a glass of wine.

I like to use good ground chuck, usually an 80/20 mix of meat and fat. The fat component gives the burger flavor and keeps it moist. Sometimes I add seasonings like onions, garlic, parsley, and other times I may put a pat of sage or rosemary compound butter in the middle of the burger. And there are sometimes when salt and pepper are the only seasonings on the burger patties. Oh, but the many toppings that can add flavor are countless. I like to add different cheeses, herbed mayonnaise's, and apple wood smoked bacon for that added crunch and flavor profile.

The buns or bread can change the whole experience of the burger. I like to put my burgers on french bread and make a hamburger Po-boy, like the ones we used to get when I lived in New Orleans. I also like a big bun that that hold a handsome size burger.

Sides can be regular fries or my fingerling and rosemary oven roasted fries, which I adore. Some like onion rings, but the fries are the real winners in my burger meal.

I love to have a nice red wine that is good, but not so expensive to pair with my burger meal. One of my latest finds is a French blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. This wine has a SRP of $8.99, so it is perfect for burgers!

Arrogant Frog 2009 Lily Pad Red

This wine has a deep garnet color. The nose is filled with dark fruit, spice and a hint of vanilla. The palate has ripe dark fruit flavors with an elegant and lush mouth feel. The tannins are just enough to balance the ripe fruit and make this a balanced wine. This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. This wine is truly a "bang for the buck" wine. I would pair this wine with a burger, steak and pasta. It would also pair well with a nice piece of aged cheddar. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Palm Bay Imports.

No comments:

Post a Comment