Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wine Review: Bogle 2007 Phantom

Bogle 2007 Phantom

The Bogle 2007 Phantom is a blend of Petite Sirah 53% (Clarksburg), Zinfandel 44% (Lodi/Amador), and Mourvedre 3% (Amador). This wine is a very deep garnet color. The nose is filled with aromas of pepper, dark fruit, and a hint of juniper. The palate mimics the nose with flavors of blackberries, blueberries and a hint of coconut which really added a nice surprise to this wine. The palate is smooth and rich. I would pair this wine with any meat off the grill. An ideal pairing would be a big steak like a thick rib eye. At a SRP of $16.00 this wine is a QPR or "bang for the buck" in my book. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Bogle Vineyards. http://boglewinery.com/

My favorite pairings with a wine like this is hearty foods, like beef and pork slathered in a rich sweet smoky sauce. A nice aged cheddar cheese would be an ideal pairing as well. I like to take a flavor profile from the wine and incorporate that element into my food pairing. I think a pat of rosemary compound butter would a great topping for a hot grilled steak and this wine, due to the hint of juniper in the wine. I'd also make Rosemary Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and a nice simple salad to complete the meal.

Hint: Compound butters are just herb or flavor infused butters. I cut a stick of unsalted butter into tablespoons and put it into a food processor, add sea salt, black pepper and about one tablespoon of fresh finely chopped herbs, then pulse until it comes to a ball.  I then shape the butter mixture into a log about the length of a stick of butter and wrap it in wax paper and put it into the freezer to firm up. Once it is firm I put it in the fridge. Rosemary pairs well with Cabernet Sauvignon and other big reds, and Sage pairs well with Syrah.

Give these pairing ideas and wine a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment