Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aging Like Fine Wine



Okay, today I felt I needed to change my look. So, this is my new Facebook picture. Just as the seasons change, we may want to make changes in how we look. I like to think of myself as a bottle of fine wine; only getting better with age. I've realized that not many things in life are permanent; so,  I just want to live life like it is golden...

I want to become creative in the kitchen to match my new look. So, when you think about trying something new, don't run away, embrace it .....


This wine is a dark garnet color. The aromas are of dark ripe fruit like blackberry and plums along with hints of dusty cocoa. The mouth feel is soft and lush. This wine has soft supple tannins, making for a great wine to sip alone or pair with food. The palate's flavors mirrored the nose. I always am amazed how well this wine tastes each vintage. It has yet to disappoint me! I would pair this wine with Fall appetizers, gourmet burgers, maybe a burger stuffed with Castello blue cheese. I'd also pair this wine with a steak or aged cheddar cheese. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Rodney Strong Vineyards http://www.rodneystrong.com SRP $25.00



Lorrie's Super Bruschetta




1 head of roasted garlic (recipe will follow)



(1) 8 oz package of cream cheese



½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese



1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper



¼ teaspoon of Creole seasoning



2 tablespoons of melted I can't believe it's not butter



¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil



20 diagonally sliced pieces of French bread



(1) 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers



½ lb. of thinly sliced beef pastrami



(1) 8 oz. block of Fontina cheese



dried chives for garnish




To roast garlic: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top off the head of garlic, just enough to see the garlic toes exposed. Put in a square of aluminum foil. Put olive oil on top and add about a teaspoon of water on the bottom of the foil, close up and bake for an hour. After the garlic has cooled, squeeze the roasted garlic toes in a small bowl. This can be done ahead of time to save in prep time.



In addition, the cream cheese mixture can be made ahead as well.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix melted margarine and olive oil together in a cup. Brush the bread with the olive oil mixture and bake for about 5-7 minutes.



In a food processor, combine cream cheese, roasted garlic, cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper and Creole seasoning and pulse until blended.



Remove the bread slices from oven and spread a teaspoon of cream cheese mixture on each slice of bread. Then add a piece of roasted red pepper. Then add a small piece of pastrami, then a thin slice of Fontina cheese, and a drop of oil on each slice of bread. Sprinkle with chives. Bake in oven until the cheese is melted. About 5 minutes.


Try this pairing and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment