Monday, February 27, 2012

Wine Review: Hess Allomi Sauvignon Blanc 2010 Napa Valley

This wine is quite interesting. I love a good Sauvignon Blanc anytime of the year; but this wine had a twist in the flavor profile that made it interesting and delightful! This wine is a light straw hue. The nose has aromas of lemon, a hint of tangerine and grapefruit. The palate mirrors the nose with those same flavors of lemon, a hint of tangerine flesh on the mid palate and a grapefruit finish. I think the tangerine flavor note added a softness to the wine, without sacrificing the acidity. There were also those grassy and mineral notes in this wine, which are often found in Sauvignon Blancs; but that hint of tangerine on the mid palate really made this wine stand out!  Hats off to the wine maker for "doing the twist!" I mean the tangerine twist, or maybe he can do the twist; I think it depends on their age! This wine would pair well with goat cheese, especially fresh goat cheese. I would also pair crab cakes, shrimp salad, and grilled fish with this wine. I know I recommend this recipe often, but this dish by Chef Anne Burrell would also pair well with this wine!
I usually don't put them on a salad; I like these as an appetizer. Try this wine and food pairing, and tell me what you think! If you can't find the figs, I make a bruschetta version of this recipe by using thin slices of french bread, that are brushed with EVOO and put in a 350 degree oven for about five minutes. Then I put a light spread of fig preserves, then the rest of the ingredients on top. I tear the prosciutto into thirds or halves depending on its size and lightly fry it in a bit of EVOO. I then top each appetizer with prosciutto, and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm the goat cheese, works like a charm every time!  Note: This wine was a sample provided by The Hess Collection. http://www.hesscollection.com SRP $16.00

No comments:

Post a Comment