Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wine Review: Ceja Vineyards 2009 Brut Sparkling Wine

This Brut sparkling wine was a joy to sample. The wine is a light straw color. The nose is filled with ripe fruit flavors of apple and citrus; it was almost like a sweetness like berries and honey with the first sniff, which is unusual to experience in a sparkling wine because of its serving temperature being a little colder than still white wines. The sweet smell was delightful and quite different in a wonderful way. The palate has flavors of apples, and citrus, with lemon notes on the finish. This wine has a wonderful mouth feel, and enough crispness and acidity to pair well with food. I loved looking at this wine; the bubbles were so tight and ongoing in my glass. 

I did an experiment in my pairing to show that diversity is a good thing on so many levels, even in the world of wine and food. I paired it with one of my favorite store bought appetizers from my local Kroger food store, Spanakopita. Spanakopita is a Greek food. This wine paired so well with the flaky phyllo dough appetizer filled with a blend of spinach, cottage cheese, onion and dill. So, a sparkling wine made by a family of people of Hispanic decent paired well with a Greek appetizer. I so love diversity, as much as I enjoyed this sparkling wine and food pairing. Note:  This wine was a sample provided by Ceja Vineyards http://www.cejavineyards.com  SRP $40.00

Spanakopita

Try this sparkling wine and food pairing and tell me what you think. I would also pair this wine with fresh goat cheese on a thin slice of baguette, or oysters prepared almost any way! Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment