Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Screw Cap Debate



This is such a touchy subject! Some of us including me,  love the romance of opening a nice bottle of wine with a corkscrew; but there are times that a screw cap is just a joy for me. I happen to think that having a screw cap helps to keep the wines preserved longer due to one of wine's enemies, oxygen.

Okay, it may not be the most romantic way of opening up a bottle of wine, but at times, romance is overrated! If you open a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris and can't finish the bottle the screw cap will keep the one fresh and maintain the wines integrity for a few days. Bottle stoppers, just don't work as well in my opinion. I own the Screwpull wine saver which basically pulls the oxygen out of the bottle and creates a seal with little rubber bottle stoppers.

This system works pretty good for reds, whites and rose`s, but if you can just screw the cap back on why not? I am open and can go either way, but the screw cap is so convenient and you don't have to bring a corkscrew if you are going to an outside event or to a person's home who may not own a corkscrew. Yes, many of us wine lovers have friends who don't drink wine, so we "bring our own bottle" to to gathering with friends who don't drink wine, so we have to go out prepared. This is another great wine with a screw cap.




 Here is another one of my screw cap picks for summer.


These wines are great to sip alone or to pair with light cheeses, goat cheeses, seafood, chicken, pork, and salads topped with Feta, Manchego or fresh goat cheese. Sauvignon Blancs pair well with fresh goat cheese dusted with dill, try the Cypress Grove Chevre Dill variety. Pinot Gris pairs well with light cheeses, grilled shrimp and crab, especially crab cakes.  I also like to just sip it alone!

Note: These wines were provided for the review by Art + Farm Wines and J Wine.

I still love the romance of using my antique corkscrew that I got in New Orleans in an Antique store on Magazine Street after Hurricane Katrina. I love the fact that so many hands have used it, and it is still in working condition. I also wonder about what wines were opened with my beautiful antique corkscrew and how much fun the folks had when drinking their wine.

My Antique Corkscrew from New Orleans

Excuse the photo; I have not mastered the art of paintbrush!













No comments:

Post a Comment