Monday, November 29, 2010

Are Wine and Food Bloggers "Digital Influencers" ?

Well according to the FTC or Federal Trade Commission, we are. I always wonder, how do we measure our influences on our readers? Sometimes, the readers will comment on how much they value your reviews and comments. I also can see in the wine review sections that some readers will get a recommended bottle of wine and provide their review on the wine that the wine writer has reviewed.

I know I love reading reviews from my wine experts who seem to share the same palate as I do. It just makes sense to me, especially in this economic climate; who wants to buy a bottle only to throw it away.

I think that wineries are great to reach out to bloggers, because we have nothing to gain by posting our honest reviews. If I get a wine sample and it is not that good, I won't review it. Why should I recommend something that I don't like. That is the thing about most wine lovers or oenophiles, we are so serious and honest about wine.

I love sharing wine and food pairings and the wine and food has to be good in order for me to recommend the wine, recipe or pairing. It is almost like "thugs" have "street cred", well I have my "culinary and wine cred." I think my "cred" is lawful and helpful (smile). So, feel comfortable in the fact that my intent is always to give you the "truth" as I see it.

Jordan 2008 Chardonnay

This wine has a light straw color with a slight hint of green. The nose is fresh and clean, then opens up to aromas of apple, pear and peach. The palate mirrors the nose with an addition of a bit of spice and a hint of lemon zest on the finish. This chardonnay is quite elegant and smooth; it begs to be paired with food due to its great acidity. I would pair this wine with roasted turkey, roasted chicken, grilled shrimp, crab cakes, grilled fish and shrimp and chicken dishes served with a pasta in alfredo sauce. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Jordan Winery.


Predator 2009 Old Vine Zinfandel
Wow! This wine is so interesting. The color is deep garnet. The nose has aromas of sweet dark fruit, a hint of smoke and bacon; yes a hint of bacon! I just could not put this wine down. The palate mirrors the nose along with a smooth and silky mouth feel. I would pair this wine with a cheese burger topped with apple wood smoked bacon, sausage, pork ribs with a sweet smokey sauce and a slow roasted pork roast with a glaze made with this wine. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Rutherford Wine.


Victoria Gourmet's Herbes De Provence
Note: This seasoning was a sample provided by Victoria Gourmet.

This is my herb to add that touch of Provence to my chicken, salmon and white fish. When making a compound butter, I use softened unsalted butter, a good amount of herbes de provence, about a tablespoon, sea salt and black pepper to taste and blend mixture completely.

Gently lift the skin of your chicken that has been rinsed and patted dry and rub the compound butter under the chicken breast on on top of the entire chicken. Add your salt and pepper lightly on the outside of the chicken and generously on the inside of the chicken along with two sweet onion quarters, a half a stalk of celery, a bay leaf and fresh rosemary sprigs.

 I use three whole celery stalks as a baking rack, place the seasoned chicken, legs tied with cooking string on the celery rack and add a bit of left over chardonnay wine while roasting to keep my chicken moist. Roast at 350 degrees, uncovered for about an hour and a half or 20 minutes per pound. I tent the poultry with foil if it is browning too quickly.

I will be reviewing more wine and food items soon, so tune in!

2 comments:

  1. Great post... influencers...Now, who's going to step up to monetize that one? ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,

    That would be great if we could see that happen in a fair way...

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete