Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wine and Food Pairing Guides

There is something to be said about wine and food pairing guides. The one that I have as a guide when cooking a meal that wine will be served is Kendall-Jackson's http://www.kj.com/wine-food/pairing/quick-guide.aspx. I like the fact that they include most food groups including herbs and spices. I cook with a lot of fresh herbs and I like spices and specialty salts.  One of my favorite spice shops is Victoria Gourmet; which is an online site http://www.vgourmet.com/. I just love the New Orleans Seasoning.


One of my favorite things to make is compound butter. Butters that are flavored with fresh herbs and spices like my burgers with sage butter in the middle paired with Syrah. Rosemary butter pairs well with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot whether using above burger application or by putting a pat on a grilled steak to add that gourmet flavor.

Fall and winter are my favorite seasons to cook and drink wine. You can have the oven on and the whole house smells good. You don't get over heated when drinking wine, and the foods are filled with big flavors, many in my kitchen from sage and rosemary. I add both herbs in the cavity of a chicken, along with onion, celery, bay leaves and thyme. The taste and smell is amazing.

I also add left over white wine while roasting my chicken to add moisture and a bit of flavor. This also makes for a great stock. I add water to my chicken carcass and let it boil for about an half an hour or so; then strain into a container to use soon or freeze for another time. May seem backwards, but all those great flavors are in the stock and the color is beautiful.  I used this stock to make a chicken and sausage gumbo and it came out great. I would also use it for soup and to add to a stuffing for the holidays.


Rutherford Ranch 2008 Merlot


Cahill Porter

I want to revisit the pairing of red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot with Cahill Porter cheese. This cheese is so interesting in its look and flavor. You can pair it with a merlot or cabernet sauvignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment