Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wines Recommended to Cellar

Wine Enthusiast just sent out their list of wine recommended for cellaring. I must admit, I'm not there yet, with long term cellaring. I much rather enjoy the wines that I have in my wine cellar/fridge. Maybe when my finances allow, I will get a few of these types of wines to see what "cellaring" is all about. I think I would have liked to cellar this Meritage  Rodney Strong 2007 Symmetry; the site says it could cellar for a couple of years. I sampled it for review; so no cellaring just yet. .

This wine is a deep almost inky red color. The nose is filled with dark fruit, blackberries, dark plums, and a sweet spice from the French oak. The palate mirrors the nose with an addition of chocolate. The wine's nuances are in symmetry, hence the name Symmetry. There are some tannins, but they give structure to the wine. I decanted this wine for about an hour, so I could experience the aromas and flavors of this wine. The alcohol level is a bit powerful, but decanting mellows this big wine. I wanted to pair it with a grilled rib eye steak with a pat of rosemary compound butter, which would have been the ultimate pairing; but I paired it with a round steak simmered in a red wine (Merlot) based gravy with sage, rosemary, and thyme as the herbs along with homemade macaroni and cheese and sweet green peas. This was a great pairing. Another pairing would be with any beef dish or with medium flavored cheeses like Cahill Porter cheese. Note: This wine was a sample provided by Rodney Strong wines.
So, here is the link Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Cellar Selections

No comments:

Post a Comment